A total of 11 incidents off piracy occurred on ships in Asia in May 2020. Asia’s waters were always a hotspot for piracy however never a hotspot for abduction of crew for ransom. The Warning issued by the ReCAAP ISC on 23rd May stated that a group of 5 Abu Sayyaf (ASG) members armed were planning to conduct abduction of crew activities in undisclosed areas off Sabah. Now the “Ransom” of crew members became popular throughout all piracy organisations worldwide.
ReCAAP ISC is concerned about the continuation of incidents occurring on board ships while sailing along the Singapore Strait. In May only 2 incidents occurred while ; period Jan-May 15 incidents occurred.
In May 2020 , 11 indigents of piracy occurred against ships . All of the incidents were real incidents instead of attempted incidents. All of the incidents were reported and verified to ReCAAP ISC by ReCAAP Focal Points.
Two incidents occurred onboard of ships wile at berth and 6 while at anchor. While 3 when sailing.
The Level Of Incidents
- 1 Category 2 incident
- 4 category 3 incidents
- 6 category 4 incidents
Briefly speaking, Category 2 incident occurred on board a bulk carrier while sailing in the Singapore Strait. When 5 pirates armed with knives boarded the ship. Approaching the duty officer stealing his belongings including his mobile phone. Meanwhile he managed to escape the pirates and alerted the captain on board. While escaping the duty officer got a minor head injury. 2 breathing apparatus were stolen. The ship needed no assistance and resumed to its final destination.
Category 2 incident
bulk carrier .Pirates boarded 9th of May 2020 at 23:45 . Name of the ship is “Vega Aquarius”
Category 3 incidents , occurred on board tankers while anchored at Anyer Anchorage, Merak Anchorage and Tanjung Uban Anchorage , Indonesia. The other incidents occurred on board a tanker while anchored in the South China Sea. In all 4 incidents pirates were armed but nobody was injured.
Category 3 incidents
- Tanker named “Form Lotte” pirates boarded 4th of May 2020 at 03:50 am .
- Tanker named “STI Precision” pirates boarded 17th of May 2020 at 01:30 am.
- Petroleum/Chemical tanker named “Ocean Leader” pirates boarded 17th of May 2020 at 04:00 am.
- Tanker named “Form Venture” pirated boarded 18th of May 2020 at 02:25 am.
Category 4 incidents, 2 incidents occurred on board of ships while sailing in the Singapore Strait; 2 on boar ships while anchored at Muara Berau Anchorage (Indonesia) and Campha Anchorage (Vietnam); and 2 incidents on board ships while berthed at Belawan Port (Indonesia) and Chittagong Port (Bangladesh)
Category 4 incidents
- Bulk carrier named ” Star Glory” pirates boarded 5th May 2020 at 23:23 pm .
- Tug Boat & supply vessel named “Dolphin I &Kim Heng 191” pirates boarded 15th May 2020 at 18:50 pm.
- Tug Boat & Supply vessel named “SMS Sangatta& Winposh Resolve” pirates boarded 18th May 2020 at 22:47 pm.
- Petroleum Chemical tanker named ” MTM Penang” pirated boarded 16th May 2020 at 04:00 am.
- Bulk Carrier named “Baltic Cove” pirates boarded 22nd May 2020 at 01:30 am.
- Petroleum Chemical tanker pirates boarded 24th May 2020 at 22:00 pm.